More and more recipes call for panko crumbs, the Japanese version of bread crumbs. They are flakier than traditional bread crumbs (although nutritionally worthless), which theoretically makes them absorb less grease. I usually make bread crumbs from whole wheat bread because they contain fiber and more vitamins, but sometimes panko works better in a recipe.
But have you bought panko? It’s expensive, considering it’s just bread crumbs. Make your own! Here’s how:
- 6 slices white sandwich bread
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Cut away the crusts from each slice of bread
- Tear each slice of the bread into fourths
- Add half of the bread to the Vitamix container.
- Process on variable speed 5 for 3-5 seconds or until all bread is flaked.
- Empty bread crumbs onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Process second half of the bread and add crumbs to the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, but watch closely. Don’t let crumbs brown.
- Remove tray from oven and allow the crumbs to cool completely.
- Store in a sealed container.