I’ll admit I’m not much of a microwaver. With the exception of asparagus and corn on the cob, most of my dishes cook rangetop or in a conventional oven. When I purchased the Deep Covered Baker (The Pampered Chef), I read the product guide that included directions for “30-Minute Chicken” in the microwave oven. I had my doubts.
If you’re on the fence about buying this product or roasting in a microwave oven, keep reading.
HASTY TASTY ROAST CHICKEN
- 1 whole chicken (approx. 3 lbs.)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Seasonings (your choice fresh chopped herbs + 1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 baking potato cut into 1″ slices
- Spray nonstick cooking spray generously to cover the interior of the Deep Covered Baker.
- Pat dry the chicken using paper towels. Rub with the olive oil.
- Rub the herbs (I use fresh taragon, thyme, and parsley) over the chicken.(reserve part of the herb mix for vegetables)
- Position chicken breast side up in baker. Add carrots, onion, and potato. Add salt and pepper over chicken and vegetables.
- Microwave uncovered on High 30 minutes. Check using a digital thermometer (should be 165° in thickest part of breast). If necessary, microwave an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave oven and cover for ten minutes. Residual cooking should bring the chicken to 170°.
- Remove skin from chicken. Transfer chicken, carrots, and potatoes to a platter to serve.
Yield: 4-5 servings chicken, 2 servings vegetables
Refrigerate leftover chicken.
So there you have it. You really can roast a chicken in the microwave oven, a great convenience if pressed for time. You won’t have a browned skin, but that isn’t an issue for me. I skin chicken before serving because skin contains too much saturated fat.
I am glad I experimented with roasting in the microwave oven. However, if I have the time, I still think it’s easier to slow cook chicken. The microwave method may save time, but it’s tricky, especially if your microwave oven varies on size and wattage.