When fresh produce is available, fajitas are easy and delicious!
Healthy Mexican: Fajitas
You can use frozen veggies to make this dish, but it’s summer. Take advantage of the colorful bell peppers and Vidalia onions to make fajitas. Bonus: Cook this dish in a cast iron skillet and add iron to an already healthy meal. A slideshow follows the recipe.
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil (or canola oil)
- 8 ounces chicken, pork, steak, or shrimp
- 4 large or 6 small whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 cups julienne-cut bell peppers (assorted colors)
- 2 cups julienne-cut onions
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (or chili seasoning mix)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) fresh cilantro sprigs
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil.
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces and add to the skillet. (If using shrimp, wait to add until vegetables are cooked)
- Cook meat for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Add onions…
View original post 112 more words